Many of our staff have First Aid qualifications. If students have minor problems, our staff will look after them. If we have any concerns, we will take them to a medical centre near the school, or to hospital. We strongly advise that all students have comprehensive private insurance including medical cover.
When a student is registered on our course a Health and Welfare questionnaire must be completed and all medical issues must be disclosed. On the induction day we will go through this form with the student in person and collect any medications which the student has brought with them. For any medications brought with a student, we ask that you provide us with an English translation of the medication including storage required and usage information. The House Staff will store all medications safely in the boarding house as per their instructions.
Some students feel very homesick, especially if this is the first time for them to be away from home. We see this problem every year. In a way, this is part of growing up. Here are some suggestions which may help:
- The feeling of being homesick almost always goes away soon. Sometimes students feel better after a couple of days. Sometimes it takes longer – one or two weeks. Believe that this feeling is not forever – it will go away!
- Students must try to develop mental strength. They must make up their mind to think about the present and future, and not focus on the past all the time.
- Students should try to make new friends, and to help other people.
- Students should focus on work and studies. Look forward to the next sports session, or social activity, or trip.
- Some students feel very homesick every time they talk to their parents. Sometimes parents can help by NOT phoning their children every day. Let them focus on their new life away from home.
- Students can talk to any member of staff about this problem, and we will all do our best to support them and help them to feel happy.
We encourage all of our students to talk to a member of staff if they have any questions or feel unwell and we will always do our very best to help them!